The Digital Accessibility for Educators Certificate
The Digital Accessibility for Educators certificate focuses on foundational information and specific skills for educators, instructional designers, and other staff who develop digital resources for courses.
Those who complete the certficiate will:
- Understand the legal and historical background of accessibility, universal design for learning, and applying these to course design.
- Develop accessible Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and PDF files
- Create accessible videos
The courses were developed with educators in mind. The courses explain why and how to make common course materials accessible with free or inexpensive software that is commonly available at many institutions. Technical IT jargon is not used.
For U.S. Institutions
An important question to ask is why do our digital materials need to be accessible? The answer is two-fold.
Four federal laws require accessibility of all digital resources. Some states, including Illinois, also have laws mandating the accessibility of digital resources for institutions of higher education.
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Americans with Disabilities Act (1990)
- 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA) (2010)
- Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (2018)
- Illinois Information Technology Accessibility Act (IITAA 2.0) (2018)
Secondly, courses that are made accessible to students with disabilities also prove useful students without any document disabilities. For instance video captioning helps students who are English language learners or consume content in noisy (or quiet) locations.
Who Should Enroll in the Program
The Digital Accessibility for Educators certificate is designed for educators, instructional designers, and other staff members who create digital content for courses.
Benefits of the Program
Many faculty developing online courses have no experience or formal training in making those materials accessible, as federal law requires, which leaves both faculty and institutions at risk of legal action. Individuals who complete the certificate program will learn how to create accessible materials for their courses.
- Foundations of Accessibility
- Creating Accessible Documents
- Creating Accessible Videos
Pointer and Clicker - Academic Honesty in Online Education
What Makes a Successful Online Student
An ION Resource