Faculty development courses from the Illinois Online Network may be taken for either Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or for academic credit through the University of Illinois Springifeld. Things to know about the differences:
- Each method involves a different set of procedures and different fees, outlines below.
- You must choose either CEUs or Academic credit, not both. Credit cannot be transferred between CEUs and Academic Credit hours after a course is completed.
- If you wish to earn both types of credit for a course, you must register and complete the coursework twice.
Another option is to take MVCR courses for Continuing Education Units. All procedures and fees listed specifically for this Web site apply to this option. Anyone with a Master's degree or other terminal professional degree is eligible to enroll in MVCR courses by this method. Further, we will ask for your institutional affiliation as part of our registration process.
- Create a myMVCR account. If you already have an account, please log in to myMVCR.
This account provides you with a customized view of the MVCR courses in which you are currently enrolled as well as those completed previously. It is also required to register in future courses and to access course orientation materials, grade reports, and our student survey. This is a one-time process. If you enroll in additional MVCR courses in the future, continue to use the login (your email address) and password you created when you first registered.
- Go to the Course Schedule page and click on the “Registration is now open” link for the course for which you wish to register.
- If you are logged into myMVCR, it will take you to a page where you can click on a button to “register now” for the course.
- On the next screen, select the button next to Founding Member price and click on the “Register Now” button.
- You will receive an email confirmation that you have registered for the course. I will have to approve your registration. Then you will received a second email with an invoice. If you are on Meghan’s pre-approved list, you fee will be removed after the first week of class.
Once you have a MyMVCR account, follow the links on the courses page in order to register for a course. Search the catalog for the course(s) in which you desire to register. Make sure that you select the correct course section when registering. Some courses are offered more than once in a given semester. Follow the instructions provided to complete the registration process.
Withdrawing from ION CEU Courses
Some ION participants may wish to earn graduate academic credit for their ION coursework to meet professional development requirements or for a lane change/advancement at their home institution. Some ION courses may meet degree and certificate requirements at UIS.
How to Enroll in an ION Course for Graduate Academic Credit at UIS
When taking ION courses for credit through UIS, all policies, procedures, and deadlines of the University of Illinois Springfield will apply.
1. Create your myMVCR Account on the ION website.
All students in MVCR courses, regardless of enrollment method, must create a MyMVCR account. This account is required for course tracking, course orientations, student orientation surveys, and course evaluations. Sign up for an account using the link at the top right of this screen and then return to this page for the next steps.
2. Apply to UIS as a Non-Degree Seeking Student.
Complete the electronic Application for Admission to UIS. You should apply as a Non-Degree Seeking Student.
- If you are asked to pay an application fee or submit transcripts, you have selected the wrong application type. Please contact the UIS Office of Admissions, and the staff will be able to assist you.
- If you decide to pursue a graduate degree at UIS, you may always apply for admission to a graduate program at a later time.
3. Claim Your UIS NetID
If you are new to the UIS system, you will need to have a token from UIS Admissions to claim your UIS NetID and setting a password. You will need your NetID and password in order to register.
4. Select a Course
Decide which course(s) you wish register for graduate academic credit. ION courses are 500-level courses in the Teacher Education Program (TEP) and Educational Leadership (EDL) departments at UIS. A full listing of online courses through UIS can be found in the the UIS Dyanmic Course Schedule. For more information on which courses count toward your degree program, you must check with your department at UIS.
The following MVCR Courses are commonly offered through UIS. For courses offered by multiple departments, you do NOT take both courses.
- Online Learning: An Overview (TEP 501)
- Instructional Design for Online Course Development (TEP 503)
- Student Assessment in Online Courses (TEP 505 or EDL 512)
- Students who complete EDL 512 with a grade of an A or a B will have satisfied a required course for the UIS Department of Educational Leaderhsip's Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Online Pedagogy.
- Technology Tools for Online Learning (TEP 502)
- Practicum (TEP 508)
Graduate academic credit will be available in Fall 2018 for two additional courses: Blended Learning Design and Instruction and Encouraging Communication in Online Courses.
5. Contact ION Director for Special Permission to Register.
In order to regsiter for an ION course at UIS, you must have special permission to register. To request special permission, please email the ION Director and provide the following information:
- Your full name
- Your University ID Number (UIN). If you do not know your UIN#, you can look it up at the University of Illinois I-Card site.
- Information about the course you wish to register, found in the UIS Dyanmic Course Schedule.
- Title of course for which you wish to register
- UIS Department, Course Number and Section (e.g. TEP 501 A)
- UIS Course Reference Number (CRN), a five digit code used to register and track course sections (e.g. 11867)
The director will request special permission for you and contact you to let you know when it has been entered into the UIS registration system.
6. Register for the Course at UIS.
- Go to the UIS website
- Click on Quick Links
- Click on Enterprise
- Login with your UISNetID and password.
- Click on the Records and Registration tab
- Click on the Registration link, and then the Add/Drop Classes link.
- Click on the link for "Agree to pay the tuition and fees."
- Choose the current semester from the drop-down list and click Submit.
- Enter the five digit CRN to the Classes Worksheet.
- Click Submit Changes.
7. Pay your tuition bill at UIS.
Be sure to watch your UIS Webmail for your tuition bill. To learn more about tuition, fees, and payment due dates, or to set up a payment plan, visit the UIS Office of Registration and Records website.
Withdrawling from UIS Courses
If you decide to withdrawal from an ION course that you are taking for graduate academic credit at UIS, you must follow the guidelines and deadlines stated on the UIS Registration site.