Pedagogy and Learning
Links on this page to external sources do not represent endorsement by ION or the University of Illinois.
Getting the information to the students
- Instructional Strategies for Online Courses and Different Learning Styles - Discusses different strategies for Online Learning, such as learning contracts, discussion, lecture, etc.
- Alternatives to the Online Lecture - Discusses how to give students the information they need in obtaining the learning objectives
- Guest Lecturers in the Online Environment (Part 1 of 2) (Part 2 of 2) Learn the benefits of bringing in the outside lecture into your online courses.
- Guest Lecturers Provided by Academic Earth.org
- ION Guest Lectures - The Virtual Guest Lecture Series In addition to our course instructors, MVCR occasionally uses Virtual Guest Lecturers within our courses. An expert logs into the course remotely and participates in a discussion with the participants of a course
- Example Syllabus
Being a successful instructor
- Competencies for Online Instructors
- What Makes a Successful Online Facilitator , Illinois Online Network
, 2000 , Discusses the basic criteria for a person to be successful as an
Instructional Strategies / Pedagogy
- Ice Breakers Activities at the start of a class session can serve many purposes. Learn some of these purposes and how ice breakers work.
- Facilitating Every Student in an Online Course Article discussing how the online course facilitator is charged with the task of developing the skills of these non-ideal students while creating a learning environment suitable to various needs, preferences, and abilitites
- Online Response Time Are you always racing the clock when you teach an online course? In this Pointer and Clicker article you will find time management tips to integrate into the design of your course. Specifically, the discussion explores online response time for three areas of online courses: e-mail messages; asynchronous conferencing and homework/tests.
- Elements of Instruction
- Presentation? Motivation? Participation? - Simple Answers to Complex Questions
- Providing Feedback
- MOOCs - Education blogger writes on 99 Best online college resources on open courseware and MOOCs
- Learning Theories - A very basic look at how we learn.
- What Makes a Successful Online Student , Illinois Online Network , 2000 , Discusses qualities that the online student should possess
- Self Evaluation Quiz for Potential Online Students , Illinois Online Network , 2000 , Find out if you have what it takes to be a successful online student
- What Every Student Should Know About Online Learning What should you know before beginning and online program
- Tips for Online Success - Learn some tips for how to get the most out of your online learning experience
- Time Management Advantage - Time Management Strategies for Online College Students. (Western Governers University)